Mar 9, 2023 1:02 AM
- Wheelchairs are available in our container or with the DRK at Washingtonplatz
- Travel with wheelchair has to be booked with mobility service in advance in trains of DB
- Do not lift people with wheelchairs on your own into a train! Always communicate with Mobility Service and DB personal.
Arriving by train
For refugees that are dependent on mobility assistance, we give further assistance.
- If they arrive by a train and don’t have a wheelchair but need one: we have multiple in our container, plus the DRK has also at least two. Try to contact someone either from us (BAS) or DRK to get a wheelchair on the platform.
- While operating a wheelchair in the station, make sure to be safe! Hold distance to tracks, don’t speed, do not but people in wheelchairs on the escalator but use the lift instead (if one is working).
Going to Tegel by Bus
- The middle entrance of the bus has a ramp - talk to the bus driver when in doubt, make sure not to hurt anyone when unfolding the ramp.
- When the wheelchair belongs to BAS: safely seat the person inside the bus, and take the wheelchair out with you. Tell the bus driver, and via a BAS coordinator or a DRK employee communicate to Tegel that a person in need of a wheelchair will come with the bus.
Departing with a Train
- For onward travel with wheelchair (given that a person has an own wheelchair and must not leave it): a booking with DB Mobility Service is necessary, a simple HelpUkraine ticket is not sufficient!
- Please arrange the travel at either Reisezentrum, DB Infopunkt (North or South), or via Telefone / Online (https://msz-bahn.de/)
- Mobility service has to be booked in advance. As it often happens that people need to directly travel on or came from Tegel without a mobility booking: try to book it for the optimal train, and explain the situation. If travel is not possible on the same day, book it for the next day and send the people to Tegel (and call Tegel in advance, via a Coordinator).
- Important: the ramps on the platforms for boarding wheelchairs can only be operated by DB staff!